|A Mystery Unsolved|
|Initial release date||22st August 2020|
|← Preceded by||Succeeded by →|
|Perplexing Conflicts of Future Past||Fearing the Uncontrollable|
A Mystery Unsolved is a case featured in Criminal Case, appearing as the forty-fourth case of the game as well as the city of Alpha Bay, and the fifth one to take place in the Abandoned Grove district.
In order to know who had murdered system analyst Carol Reynolds and framed Susan in the process, Johan Cove and the player went to the Reynolds apartment to investigate. After reaching there, Johan opened the door and went inside with the player, and noticed that nothing had changed inside after the party where Carol got murdered given Mark Reynolds and his sister had left the place a day after their mother’s death.
Johan laughed, saying that their investigation was going to be a bit easier given the apartment’s state as Eva called him and provided with the autopsy result, saying that the killer was a sharpshooter as they shot her at the exact place where a professional shooter would like to. However, the team then searched the living room and flagged victim’s daughter Mina Reynolds as a suspect who wished them luck and advised to search the balcony, prompting the team to do so. Soon, they got some clues there which led them to fire tester Archie McLoopy and party planner Lori Edwards since Archie had attended the party that day and had known Carol since his childhood due to his friendship with Mark while Lori was the one whom Carol used to hire everytime to arrange parties on her apartment.
After a while, Johan got another call from Eva who informed them that lowlife Derek Crawford, who got murdered a while ago, was spotted near the subway station. Johan thanked her and went to the subway station with the player where they found Derek sitting on a bench. When questioned, he said that he didn't know who revived him and that he preferred the afterlife since it seemed more peaceful to him. However, after searching the place, the team discovered that Carol had done some researches on a mysterious company's owner named Melanie Hamilton, making the latter furious. Besides, it was also revealed that Carol was confused thinking if it'd be good for Mina to be a detective like she always wanted as she had gotten into a lot of troubles for sneaking, and that Lori used to demand less money than usual from Carol as the latter reminded her of her mother who had died during her childhood.
Soon afterwards, the team noticed Derek and Archie having a fight at the subway. The team quickly stopped them and asked what it was about, and Archie explained that he just asked him if everything was alright as he seemed depressed but Derek simply tried to drive him away, making Archie feel insulted and eventually the fight started. Johan told both of them to calm down and searched the area again with the player and came to know that Carol felt sympathized for Derek and offered him a place in her company, making him grateful and that Melanie had filed a restriction order against the victim, saying that she was stalking her. Also, the team learnt that Archie had refused to attend Carol's funeral, saying that he felt guilty in doing so but didn't reveal what was the reason.
Finally, the team got all the clues which led them to Derek. When confronted, Derek tried to deny the accusations but eventually admitted to the murder. He then broke down in tears, saying that he didn't want to do that but that he had no choice. He said that all his life he just kept on obeying orders due to his poverty, and that he had to do so till his death. With his face on his hands, he continued by saying that a few years ago someone called him, asking if he wanted to join an organization which would help him to raise his daughter properly. Thinking how he was struggling, he had decided to join the organization which turned out to be Dark Empire. However, the organization basically ordered him to steal things or kill one person or two almost everyday, making him tired since they technically did nothing to improve his family's condition. So, he had decided to leave given Carol offered him to join her company which he accepted but then his daughter got kidnapped by Cascade. Johan asked how he could say it was Cascade, and he replied that they sent him an message saying that they were the one who did it. Anyway, that message also instructed him to murder Carol and frame Susan, in order to kill two birds with a stone since they needed Carol to stop her researches and her son to join them. This made Derek feel very bad, so when Cascade contacted him again, he tried to refuse but they said his daughter would pay the price of his denial. Feeling cornered, Derek did it and since then guilt had haunted him everyday and night. He then pulled out his gun and aimed at his head, saying that he couldn't just commit crimes for Dark Empire, as Cascade didn't keep their promise and killed his daughter as a "warning". Johan told him to put the gun down and asked why he got murdered a while ago, and he replied that Dark Empire had a plan with resurrected people and that he had joined as a railroad worker because Bradley Coner did so. When asked his connection with Bradley, he told them to find that out themselves and said that he belonged to the afterlife just like any other dead people before shooting himself.
Johan sighed, saying that it was totally unfair what happened with Derek and his late daughter, and that he'd do anything to bring Cascade down with the player before heading towards the station.
After Johan and the player told the team about their investigation, Susan thanked them as she was feeling relieved, knowing she wasn't responsible for the murder. However, Johan and the player decided to search the subway station to see if Derek had left any clue there about his connection with Bradley. There, they found a file belonging to FBI which was sent to Troy. After analysis, he revealed that FBI agent Albert Prince had a special interest on Project Resurrection and the serial killings, so he started an investigation which allowed him to discover that Bradley and the other murdered workers were actually former Dark Empire members who were trying to take the organization down with Roger Spitfire and Bradley himself as their leaders. The team then interrogated Albert to see what else he knew but didn't mention anything about the file, and he replied that there was something around the construction site which drew Dark Empire's attention, and that they were basically killing two birds with one stone given the murders were providing them with dead bodies, enabling them to use them to kill the rest of the workers. However, he advised them to search the Reynolds apartment since Mark seemed suspicious to him, prompting the team to do so. There, they found a hidden hologram device which turned out to be Roger's. However, since the device showed nothing given it could be used only once, the team questioned Roger about its content, and he explained that he had asked Bradley to go to his secret lab to obtain the weapons which might be effective in the battle against DE. However, he speculated Bradley could never do it since he had never got any news like that. Johan told him to give the coordinates, and he declined to do so, saying he wouldn't reveal anything else until Cascade got exposed.
Meanwhile, Mina approached the team and said that someone was lurking around the apartment, prompting the team to search the balcony garden where they found Archie's phone. After unlocking it, they sent it to Troy who said that he had been communicating with Mark about their resistance against DE and that he was suspecting someone might try to kill railroad worker Jean-Jacques Chevalier the next day. So, the team questioned Archie who didn't want to reveal anything first but eventually revealed that he and Mark were part of the insurgents against DE and that they were trying to find out the machine which controlled the resurrected people. However, knowing Mark was a hard nut to crack, the team went to the construction site in order to warn Jean-Jacques who got furious and said that he wouldn't think twice to go extreme to save his workers. Anyway, Johan calmed him down and asked to call them whenever he felt any sign of danger.
Back at the headquarter, the team was worrying about Jean-Jacques' safety and wondering what was Dark Empire's plan with the dead people, just when Tobias Larsson called Johan and asked him to come to the highway near the construction site quickly with the player.
- Carol Reynolds (Got shot to the head)
- Derek Crawford
- The killer is a sharpshooter.
- The killer can operate hidden cameras.
- The killer quotes Shakespeare.
- The killer has O- blood type.
- The killer sports gold accessories.
|Living Room||Couch||Living Room Bonus|
|Balcony||Balcony Garden||Balcony Bonus|
|Subway Station||Stairs||Subway Station Bonus|
- Investigate Living Room. (Clues: Faded Picture, Broken Device; Victim identified: Carol Reynolds; Attribute: The killer is a sharpshooter)
- Examine Faded Picture. (Result: Victim’s Picture [Blurry Person])
- Examine Blurry Person. (New Suspect: Mina Reynolds)
- Ask Mina Reynolds about the details of the murder. (New Crime Scene Unlocked: Balcony; Prerequisite: Blurry Person identified)
- Investigate Balcony. (Clues: Cocktail Glass, Bracelet; Prerequisite: Mina interrogated)
- Examine Cocktail Glass. (Result: Hair)
- Examine Hair. (Result: Ginger and Red Hair; New Suspect: Archie McLoopy)
- Question Archie McLoopy about attending the party. (Prerequisite: Hair examined under the microscope)
- Examine Bracelet. (Result: Barcode)
- Analyze Barcode. (03:00:00; New Suspect: Lori Edwards)
- Interrogate Lori Edwards about the victim. (Prerequisite: Barcode analyzed)
- Examine Broken Device. (Result: Camera)
- Analyze Camera. (05:00:00; Attribute: The killer can operate hidden cameras)
- Go to Chapter 2. (No stars)
- Question Derek Crawford about his resurrection. (Profile updated: Derek is a sharpshooter and can operate hidden cameras; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Subway Station)
- Investigate Subway Station. (Clues: Lost and Found Box, Purse; Prerequisite: Derek interrogated)
- Examine Lost and Found Box. (Result: Carol's Phone)
- Analyze Carol's Phone. (07:00:00; New Suspect: Melanie Hamilton)
- Interrogate Melanie Hamilton about Carol's researches. (Profile updated: Melanie is a sharpshooter and can operate hidden cameras)
- Examine Purse. (Result: Faded Paper)
- Examine Faded Paper. (Result: Death Threat)
- Analyze Death Threat. (05:00:00; Attribute: The killer quotes Shakespeare)
- Investigate Balcony Garden. (Clues: Torn Application, Notebook; All tasks before must be done first)
- Examine Torn Application. (Result: Detective Application)
- Ask Mina why she tore up her application. (Profile updated: Mina is a sharpshooter and can operate hidden cameras)
- Examine Notebook. (Result: Plannings)
- Ask Lori why she used to demand less money than usual from the victim. (Profile updated: Lori is a sharpshooter and can operate hidden cameras)
- Go to Chapter 3. (No stars)