|A Frozen Reception|
|Initial release date||19th February 2021|
|← Preceded by||Succeeded by →|
|Pushed Towards the Extreme||Forgotten Warnings from Future|
|“||The investigation of Switzerland is now providing with more questions than answers, with the biggest one still remaining as for what's the connection among Miles, Kevin and Malcolm. However, now the team has to find a surgeon who's supposedly dead for almost a year, and the only lead is pointing towards Austria. But well, don't be too affected after going there, because you might get a cold reception from the people, just like a chemist already did. Guess it's safe to say that you'll need to warm up with others to solve this particular murder case.||„|
A Frozen Reception is a case featured in Criminal Case as the eleventh case of Mysterious Secrets of Europe (Season 2) and the sixty-seventh case overall. It is the fourth case to take place in the Central Europe region.
As the connection among weapon dealer Kevin Pryde, car dealer Miles Tyson and MI6 agent Malcolm Bentley was getting complex, Chief Salminen listened to Sav and Lena, causing the whole team to go to Vienna to investigate further. However, as Violetta, Kristoff and the player discussed their recent discoveries, Sav approached them and informed that someone had been murdered at the local ski resort, prompting Violetta to rush towards the place with the player. After a few minutes, the duo reached there and found local chemist Annika Riegler who got frozen to death.
The team remained careful not to break the ice and quickly sent the body to Nicholas before taking a quick look around the area, soon flagging the ski resort owner Mikaela Schneider as a suspect since she had developed a good friendship with Annika. However, as she pointed out Annika was fond of going to opera, the team went to the Vienna state opera where they found two more suspects, including marketing assistant Andreas Hofmann and Dutch stripper Sophia Ryder, whom the team had met a while ago. When questioned, Andreas revealed that the victim had brought some products from him two days ago while Sophia claimed to know Annika well since the chemist was her regular client. After a while, Nicholas said that the killer used liquid nitrogen to commit the murder and that in order to do so they had to know chemistry.
Soon afterwards, Sav's girlfriend and informant Larissa Berger approached the team at the headquarter and said that Sav had asked her to get them some information, and that she had found an underground operation room which might interest them. Hearing so, the team decided to question her for details and she provided them with the coordinates, prompting the duo to search the operation room which was most likely abandoned for a year. However, being shocked, they then discovered that British surgeon Kyle Grey was alive and was living in the city under an alias. Violetta smiled, saying it was a breakthrough and went to quiz Kyle with the player who seemed careless and dodged their questions by saying that he was a famous plastic surgeon but that he didn't want to be recognized by people anymore which was why he didn't bother informing anyone that he was alive after people assumed he was dead. Anyway, the team placed him under temporary custody for having connection with Kevin, and went back to the opera where they learnt that Andreas had fallen in love with the victim and proposed her only to get rejected very badly, and that Annika had basically tortured Sophia the last time they made out as the chemist was convinced Sophia was trying to use her somehow.
While recapping, the team wandered around the operation room, only to notice someone who was trying to break inside. After preparing their guns, Violetta and the player approached the person and discovered it was none other than Larissa. Violetta raised her eyebrow and asked her what was she trying to do, and the informant replied she was thinking to get some more clues for the team, causing Violetta to say that it was much appreciated but they'd take the things from there. After Larissa left, the team searched the place once again and came to know that Mikaela had suspected the victim was up to no good and confronted her which turned into a fight, Annika had caught Larissa when the latter was following her and threatened to hand her over to the Vienna PD, and that Kyle had met with the victim the previous day in order to discuss the cold war that was going on between British Isles and Central Europe.
After returning back to the ski resort once again, the team got all the clues required to determine that the killer was Mikaela.
So, the team quickly went to the ski resort and found Mikaela sitting on a chair and drinking wine slowly. Violetta then sat in front of her and asked her why'd she kill Annika, and she replied that she didn't know what the junior agent was taking about. Violetta smirked, and started showing her the proofs which left Mikaela no choice but to confess. However, Mikaela explained that Annika was being too dangerous which was why she was ordered to silence her. When questioned how was Annika being dangerous and who had ordered her to murder her, Miekaela tried to dodge the questions until she finally blurted out that Annika was threatening to blow up their organization's cover. Understanding she had said something she wasn't supposed to, Mikaela tried to shut her mouth but Violetta didn't give her the chance, instead kept pressuring her which caused her to finally reveal that Annika was thinking their leader wasn't giving her much recognition and was ignoring her enough not to promote her, and that after finding out Kyle was alive, Annika was convinced she was an outcast and confronted Mikaela, asking why the leader hadn't told her about it. As Mikaela had driven her away saying she didn't know a thing, Annika had become furious and somehow found Kyle's address, as well as the resort was connected to the underground operation room with a secret tunnel before confronting the surgeon since she had wanted to hand him over to the Vienna PD and show the tunnel to them. However, earlier that day, the leader called Mikaela and ordered her to silence Annika in order to keep their organization's existence a secret, causing the resort owner to do accordingly since they had already sent her a death threat in case she would have failed. Violetta rolled her eyes and asked why was she telling them everything that easily then, and she replied that she was marked for death nonetheless since she wasn't supposed to get caught and that she was already anxious enough to get a mental breakdown. The team then asked her if she had more information but she shook her head, saying she had already told them everything she knew. So, the duo took her to the International Court where Judge Martin understood how she was trying to be co-operative and sentenced her to 12 years in prison for the murder.
Post-trial, Violetta suggested they question Kyle about Miles' intention to make him transplant his heart, since the surgeon had claimed that he didn't work anymore. Right then, Larissa approached the team and said that they should also check out the resort given it was connected with the operation room, and Violetta nodded in agreement.
So firstly, the team went to quiz Kyle who tried to shut the door on their face but as he failed, the duo got him cornered and made him reveal that he was Kevin's personal surgeon and one of the few people of the whole world who could literally change someone's face without leaving any visible scar. Violetta scratched her head and wondered if he had changed criminals' faces, and Kyle's face went pale as Violetta grinned, saying her trick worked and they should go back to the operation room to see whose faces Kyle had changed, saying she had a theory. However, as she didn't explain her theory, the player followed her to the room and searched around, soon finding an old patient file in the process. Seeing the lack of information, the team sent it to Kristoff who after analysis smirked, congratulating Violetta for tricking Kyle given the file had allowed him to learn that Kyle's final patient was none other than Kevin and that he had changed his face, and that it was how Miles Tyson was born. Violetta asked if Kevin and Miles were the same person, and Kristoff nodded, saying Kyle had changed his face brilliantly, and that Kevin had dyed his hair and started wearing contact lens, which disallowed MI6 agent Ivana Harper to catch him since the body the MI6 had found wasn't Kevin's. When asked about Malcolm's connection with Kevin/Miles, Kristoff said he didn't know about it since there wasn't any mention of Malcolm but that seeing how his DNA was identical to Kevin and Julia Pryde, he could be related to them. Violetta recalled how Julia had claimed not to know Malcolm, and Kristoff suggested they talk with Andreas since Kevin had come to Vienna a lot of times years ago and had developed a friendship with the marketing assistant. So, the team then went to see Andreas who admitted of being Kevin's friend and said that despite he was a weapon dealer, they somehow became close. Violetta asked if Kevin had ever mentioned Malcolm, and Andreas replied in the negative before informing that he had mentioned having a son instead. He then continued by explaining that Kevin was disappointed at with his son and his daughter Julia, as the weapon dealer had once said that he hated how both his son and Julia were homosexual, and that he could tolerate Julia being a lesbian, but not the son being gay and had disowned him, causing Violetta to narrow her eyes and remember how Miles had insulted her after learning she had a girlfriend. Anyways, Andreas speculated Malcolm could be Kevin's son, and Violetta wondered if that was possible since the MI6 agent had revealed himself as Lucy Nightingale's killer and claimed Miles didn't exist although now the story seemed to be something else. The team then went to the state opera, as Andreas pointed out Kevin had gone there a lot of times with him, and found a blueprint which showed Kevin's face and another unknown person, prompting the team to identify the person who turned out to be a decoy of Kevin named Duke Sawyer. Understanding Duke had died in Kevin's place back to the day Ivana had gone to catch him, the team wondered what to do ahead as Violetta spotted a phone number which someone had written on the blueprint recently. So, Violetta dialed the number, thinking it was worth a shot, and from the other side none other than Miles took the call, saying he was impressed. Violetta shouted they knew how he was Kevin, and Miles shut her down by saying that his name was Miles. However, Miles revealed he had spread for them to play catch up and that they would never be able to catch him since he was the only one who had predicted the MI6's raid and prevented them from catching him before cutting the call, making Violetta get furious.
Meanwhile, Violetta and the player decided to go to the resort but the junior agent stopped and turned back to Larissa, asking her to give them all the information she had. So, Larissa pulled out her notebook and said that she had collected a few things and that Sophia seemed highly suspicious to her. When asked about her reason, the informant shrugged and said that it was because Sophia had close connection with Dutch music producer Espen van Vilet and Annika and had made them spill their secrets. However, Larissa then blushed and asked them to find her ring as well which she had bought for Sav, since she wanted to propose her physically instead of virtually, prompting the team to go to the resort where they found the ring and a surveillance photo. They then examined the photo which showed Sophia putting something in Larissa's bag. Finding this suspicious, the team went to question the stripper who claimed she had noticed the paper fall from her bag which was why she put it back. Violetta said it was quite suspicious how she had close connection with both Espen and Annika, and counting how Larissa was the one who had found the operation room, she believed Sophia wasn't being entirely honest with them. Sophia then laughed, saying Violetta was just being paranoid before going outside.
On the other hand, the team checked out the ring box's barcode and examined it via database, soon finding it was the one Larissa had asked them to find. The duo then quickly returned it to Larissa who thanked them and went to see Sav, who apologized not to be able to spend time with her, saying she was very busy thanks to the situation. Larissa caressed her cheek and said it wasn't a problem before kneeling down as she pulled out the ring and asked Sav if she would marry her, causing the team coordinator to tear up in happiness. However, Sav then nodded, and Larissa stood up before kissing her, claiming it was one of her happiest days so far.
Later on, the team reunited at the breakroom where Violetta shared their discoveries with others, making Chief Salminen a little relieved. He then said that now that Miles and Kevin were the same person, their priority should be to find out Malcolm's connection with them, as Kristoff claimed it was high chance for the MI6 agent to be Miles' son. Sav nodded, and Lena said it was a stupid move for Miles to leave his phone number like that because she could easily track him to Budapest now, causing Chief Salminen to think whether it was a trap as Sav said goodbye to Larissa and others started to get ready to go to Hungary to find and arrest Miles.
- Annika Riegler (Got frozen to death)
- Liquid Nitrogen
- Mikaela Schneider
- The killer eats chocolate cake.
- The killer knows chemistry.
- The killer skis.
- The killer has plaid clothing.
- The killer sports lipstick.
|Ski Resort||Victim's Cabin||Ski Resort Bonus|
|Vienna State Opera||Opera Audience||Vienna State Opera Bonus|
|Operation Room||Operation Table||Operation Room Bonus|
- Investigate Ski Resort. (Clues: Victim's Body, Victim's Handbag [Dark Stain]; Victim identified: Annika Riegler; New Suspect: Mikaela Schneider)
- Question Mikaela Schneider about the murder. (Prerequisite: Ski Resort investigated; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Vienna State Opera)
- Investigate Vienna State Opera. (Clues: Faded Paper, Vibrator; Prerequisite: Mikaela interrogated)
- Examine Faded Paper. (Result: Cash Receipt [Signature])
- Examine Signature. (New Suspect: Andreas Hofmann)
- Question Andres Hofmann about his knowing the victim. (Prerequisite: Signature examined)
- Examine Vibrator. (Result: DNA Sample)
- Examine DNA Sample. (New Suspect: Sophia Ryder)
- Interrogate Sophia Ryder about her presence in Austria. (Prerequisite: DNA Sample examined under the microscope)
- Examine Dark Stain. (Result: Slippery Sample)
- Analyze Slippery Sample. (05:00:00; Attribute: The killer eats chocolate cake)
- Autopsy Victim's Body. (18:00:00; Attribute: The killer knows chemistry)
- Go to Chapter 2. (No stars)
- Talk with Larissa Berger about the operation table. (Profile updated: Larissa eats chocolate cake; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Operation Room)
- Investigate Operation Room. (Clues: Wallet, Frozen Stick; Prerequisite: Larissa interrogated)
- Examine Wallet. (Result: Address; New Suspect: Kyle Grey)
- Confront Kyle Grey about his supposedly dying a year ago. (Profile updated: Kyle eats chocolate cake and knows chemistry)
- Examine Frozen Stick. (Result: Blood Sample)
- Analyze Blood Sample. (07:00:00; Attribute: The killer skis)
- Investigate Opera Audience. (Clues: Torn Shirt, Locked Surveillance Camera; All tasks before must be done first)
- Examine Torn Shirt. (Result: Hair)
- Examine Hair. (Result: Sophia's Hair)
- Question Sophia about her getting tortured. (Profile updated: Sophia eats chocolate cake and knows chemistry)
- Examine Locked Surveillance Camera. (Result: Unlocked Camera)
- Analyze Unlocked Camera. (08:00:00)
- Interrogate Andreas about getting rejected by the victim. (Profile updated: Andreas eats chocolate cake and knows chemistry)
- Go to Chapter 3. (No stars)
- Investigate Operation Table. (Clues: Antique Vase, Larissa's Jacket, Locked Phone; Available after unlocking Chapter 3)
- Examine Antique Vase. (Result: Mikaela's Vase)
- Ask Mikaela about her stolen antique vase. (Profiles updated: Mikaela eats chocolate cake, knows chemistry and skis; Sophia skis)
- Examine Larissa's Jacket. (Result: Victim's Message)
- Question Larissa about being confronted by the victim. (Profiles updated: Larissa knows chemistry; Andreas skis)
- Examine Locked Phone. (Result: Unlocked Phone)
- Analyze Unlocked Phone. (04:00:00)
- Question Kyle about meeting the victim the previous day. (Profile updated: Kyle skis)
- Investigate Victim's Cabin. (Result: Liquid Nitrogen Bottle, Paper Towel; All tasks before must be done first)
- Examine Liquid Nitrogen Bottle. (Result: Little Fibers)
- Analyze Little Fibers. (09:00:00; Attribute: The killer has plaid clothing)
- Examine Paper Towel. (Result: Liquid Substance)
- Analyze Liquid Substance. (09:00:00; Attribute: The killer sports lipstick)
- Go to Some Links Left Disconnected (4/6). (No stars)
Some Links Left Disconnected (4/6)
- Confront Kyle about his connection with Kevin Pryde. (Available after unlocking Some Links Left Disconnected 4)
- Investigate Operation Room. (Clue: Pile of Folders; Prerequisite: Kyle interrogated)
- Examine Pile of Folders. (Result: Patient File)
- Analyze Patient File. (07:00:00)
- See if Andreas can give any information regarding Kevin/Miles. (Prerequisite: Patient File analyzed; Reward: 20000 Coins)
- Investigate Vienna State Opera. (Clue: Torn Blueprint; Prerequisite: Andreas interrogated)
- Examine Torn Blueprint. (Result: Kevin's Blueprint [Phone Number])
- Talk with Miles Tyson about his being Kevin Pryde. (Prerequisite: Torn Blueprint examined; Reward: Burger)
- Question Larissa for new leads. (Available after unlocking Some Links Left Disconnected 4)
- Investigate Ski Resort. (Result: Faded Photo; Ring Box); Prerequisite: Larissa interrogated)
- Examine Faded Photo. (Result: Surveillance Photo)
- Interrogate Sophia about putting something inside Larissa's bag. (Prerequisite: Faded Photo examined)
- Examine Ring Box. (Result: Barcode)
- Analyze Barcode. (03:00:00)
- Help Larissa propose to Savannah Rodriguez. (Reward: Tuxedo [Male]; Off the Shoulder Dress [Female])
- Move on to a new crime! (No stars)
|V • T • ECases in Mysterious Secrets of Europe|
|British Isles||Underneath Water's Rhythmic Flow • Search for an Assassin • Replaced by Poison • Tranquilized to Death • Nightmares of Traumatic Memories • Going Down in Flames • Strategies Behind the Screen|
|Central Europe||The Musical Mysteries • At Daggers Drawn • Pushed Towards the Extreme • A Frozen Reception • Forgotten Warnings from Future • Secrets Kept in the Dark|
|Scandinavia||Take My Breath Away • Drowned in Cold Sorrow • The Midnight Hour Silence • Message from the Past • TBA • TBA|
|Russia||TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA|
|Eastern Europe||TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA|
|Balkans||TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA|
|Southwest Europe||TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA|